Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Roasted Zucchini

I would never have believed I'd ever ever ever like zucchini. It's amazing how my tastebuds have changed since I stopped giving it a steady diet of salt, sugar, and preservatives. Of course, I still eat all of those things, but nowhere near as much as before. Now I try to incorporate good foods...like zucchini.

As part of my CSA (community-supported agriculture) program, I get a bag of fresh vegetables every other week. This last week contained two zucchinis, so on Saturday morning, I decided to make something of them. I didn't feel like an elaborate recipe, so I just threw together a marinade for them. It was amazing, if I do say so myself.

I used 2 tsp olive oil (one per zucchini), a generous splash of balsalmic vinegar, some crushed garlic, a few tablespoons of crushed onion, and some Trader Joe's seasoning salt. I coated it all and threw it in my toaster oven on the broil setting for about 30 minutes. When they came out, I added a little bit of regular salt, too. Dang, it was so good. I made myself stop after eating half of the two of them, just because I wanted to have two chances to eat it!

I took the rest to work with me on Monday. Because we don't have a microwave right now, I just ate them cold, and they were amazing that way, too!

Sometimes I think we make things so complicate, or we assume we can't do anything without a recipe or professional advice. Blah! I've learned that cooking and stuff is more fun when you put a little guts into it. A little creativity and imagination. A little carefree tossing together!

Also, I've been nutritionally angelic so far this week. Here's hoping it continues. Eep!

1 comment:

  1. Good to know about this. My mom gave me two HUGE zucchinis from her garden this weekend. Besides chopping them up and adding them to sauce or making zucchini bread, I want to try something new. I will give this a whirl! BTW - I am impressed you joined a CSA. I thought about it this year, but wasn't sure I could make use of alllll those veggies. I guess it would make me eat more if I was paying for it. :)

    ReplyDelete