Sunday, November 21, 2010

Finally...a little home cooking

Of course I still have plenty to do, with grading, laundry, and the like. But it's cold out, cloudy, and there's freezing rain falling. My work can wait for a little time in front of the stove. I've earned the right to cook a little for myself! I had bought some lentils awhile back to make soup, and there was a good sale on canned corn the other day, so I thought I'd do a little Google search for a recipe that called for those two items.

I came up with a corn and lentil soup! One recipe was listed on multiple web sites, so I thought it must be good, and even better, I actually had everything in it already in my cupboards. According to my calculations, it's only 3 points for 1/8th of the batch, though, it's looking more like there could be 10 servings in it. I have yet to measure it all out. If there are ten servings, it's only 2 pts.

It's a meatless soup, but it would be easy and delicious to add some turkey or chicken if you wanted. In fact, I purposefully didn't call it a vegetarian because one of the alterations I made was to use part chicken stock instead of water. The recipe calls for seven cups of water. I did three cups of water and four cups of chicken broth. I feel that will make it more flavorful.

I also used a whole can of corn instead of just one cup (a can is about 2.5 cups) and I used a can of diced tomatoes instead of two fresh ones. I don't keep fresh tomatoes around, typically, and canned was easier. I strained the liquid from the corn but put the whole can of tomatoes in, juice and all. I also had a little bit of spinach in the fridge that needed to be used, so I threw that in as well.

I also added a little of my Trader Joe's Everyday Seasoning to my bowful, just for added flavor. It's not a strongly flavored soup, but I don't like adding too much salt to stuff. Overall, it's a great, healthy soup and very very easy. I spent maybe 10-15 minutes prepping it in total, and then you just have to wait for it to simmer for 25 minutes. I can do other stuff while I wait. Easy!

So there you go. A little winter warmth in no time at all. Best of all is that soup always tastes even better reheated, so I'm stoked to see what the coming days' servings bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment