Friday, February 4, 2011

Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice

I'm a girl, and apparently I really am made of those. My two favorite flavors are sweet and spicy.  Of course, the old rhyme meant spices like cinnamon and stuff, which is great, but I also love hot spicy, too. I've recently come across a few new additions to my daily diet that incorporate all of these.

1) Some friends recently gave me some Maggi Chili Sauce. It's kind of like ketchup, but with a sweet/spicy combo kick. My two favorites in one! It's thinner than ketchup, too, but you could totally substitute it for french fries. I have used it on stir-fry vegetables and eggs, and I love it on both. It's very low in calories and the label shows that it's all recognizable ingredients. It might be a tad hard to find, but if you have an Asian grocery or an Asian section at your regular grocery, you'll probably find it. It's worth the hunt.

2) Since having had sushi awhile back, I've been thinking very frequently and fondly of wasabi. When I was grocery shopping the other night, I saw coupons on the shelf for almonds. I needed some anyway (I love them), and the coupon was for $1 off two small cans, so I went for a regular and a wasabi & soy flavored can. They could stand to be a little more wasabi-like, but they are really good anyway. I think I'll try putting them in my next salad for a little extra kick. The thing about almonds is that, of course, you can't eat a ton of them because they are high calorie and fat, but they are nutritious for sure..and delicious. So if I can indulge in them with the added bonus of wasabi or some other flavor, I'm going to.

3) Then, for sweet, Hungry Girl has been pimping the new Cinnamon Burst Cheerios. They have more fiber than other kinds of Cheerios and are only three points for a whole cup. There was another coupon at the store the other night, so I got some of those, too. I just ate some and they really are great! Having read Omivore's Dilemma, of course, I noticed right away that the box says, "Flavored with Real Cinnamon," and got grumpy. Shouldn't that just be a duh? We have a very seriously jacked up food system. It did prompt me to look at the ingredients list, and actually it's pretty decent. I recognized all the ingredients and only a couple are suspicious (guar gum=corn; "natural flavor" and "color added"; BHT for preserving "freshness"). Overall, considering some of the crap at the store, this is pretty innocuous.

4) Brown Cow yogurt is not as low in points as Kalona SuperOrganics, but it's still pretty great. Low-ish in sugar (at least for the plain variety) and probably a lot easier to find. Just thought I'd pass that on since it passed my very stringent yogurt taste test.

There you go. More options for your next trip to the store. Now I have to get back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment