Sunday, April 3, 2011

I'm back! I don't know where I went...

How is it possible that I haven't blogged in nearly two months? What a pity. I still think a lot about food, eating, and being healthy. So why not write about it? I don't know the answer. Maybe just laziness and stress. Probably that.

Anyway, lots has happened since February. I had a birthday, went to London, got a grant for research, went on anti-depressants (overshare), and just generally stayed afloat. The common theme for all those things (except the research grant) is this: weight-gain danger zones! I pretty much turned my birthday celebration into a month-long festival of indulgence. In London, I went full-on into candy and Guinness (mmmmmmmmmmmmm) and meat and grease. I did try to incorporate healthy stuff as well, and I walked approximately five-seven miles a day, but still. Yipes. By the end of the London trip, I was up about three-five pounds over the end of February.

But! When I got home from London, I decided it was time to get back on track, and that's exactly what I've done. I got home on the 20th, and since then I've been quite careful (with a few days' exceptions) in making good choices, cutting back on my points a little bit, and eating all my vegetables and fruits. And as of today, I'm right back down to my ideal weight! This was my first real experience with trying to lose since I hit my goal last summer, and I always wondered A) whether I would let myself slip too much before shifting into loss mode or B) whether I'd be able to lose again if I slipped.  The answer I now know is YES! I can get back on track before things get out of control, I can lose the weight, and continue to be healthy AND happy while doing it.

This also shows that I can have the occasional little period of silliness and not be doomed to a life of weight gain. I am not destined to be a slave to food. I can let my guard down a little and then put it right back up when I'm ready. And the best part is that I can feel excited about returning to healthy living. Because when I got home from London, the first thing I did the next day was go to the store to buy fresh produce. I was stoked to eat healthy again. Wowsers. That's not the old Dena.

So. There you go. It's possible to live my life to the fullest and experience the delicious wonders of food from time to time and then regain control. I am destined to a life of healthy weight because I choose to. I am in control...even when I don't exercise it every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment