Friday, October 25, 2013

Happy Thinneversary to me

I started WW four years ago, almost exactly. It was right before Halloween, and therefore right before Thanksgiving and Christmas. Madness? Yes. But I still managed to consistently lose weight throughout the entire season. This makes me think of three things:

  1. If I could lose weight for the first time in my life under those kind of barriers, what could possibly stop me now--when I know what to do and only have 15 pounds to lose instead of 55? I think back to that person and smile. I was so excited every week to see the first weight loss success of my life. It was the start of many transformations of physical and emotional identity very much for the better.
  2. I have been a little hard on myself for gaining some of the weight back. I try to be kind to myself, understanding the obstacles this year has provided, but it's still easy to be frustrated with going off the rails. But the reality is, I'm basically still a healthy weight four years later! What I started four years ago (FOUR YEARS AGO) I have basically maintained. I hit my goal eight months after starting, and I have done amazingly well ever since, apart from this year's blip. That's something to celebrate. 
  3. Lastly, this whole anniversary reminds me that even if I slipped, I'm here correcting myself before I go back to where I started. I have the power and control to determine my own success at this. Food doesn't force its way into my mouth. I determine when food goes into my mouth--and which food goes into my mouth.
Sometimes chocolate and cookies go in my mouth. And they always will. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment