Sunday, October 17, 2010

Health and Healthy Eating

I'm starting to put things together in a meaningful way. I think I'm being healthy, but I wonder if I'm really eating well. Some things are starting to add up to some potentially problematic conclusions.

1) Prepare yourselves for a TMI. I'm one of those people who is very consistent with their periods, almost always within a day of my prediction: every 27-29 days. Occasionally, things will be thrown off, but it's rare. But now I'm 2.5 weeks beyond that window without a trace, and no...it's not that. Trust me. It's kind of wigging me out, not because I enjoy having my period but because it's so out of the norm for me. I can't help but wonder if there's a connection to my diet. Not enough meat/iron? Not enough fat? What?

2) Sort of potentially related (maybe?) is that I'm retaining water. Not crazy huge amounts, but noticeable both on the scale and on my body. My socks typically don't leave a line from pressure, particularly now now that my legs are thinner, but they are now. It's just a slight squishy feeling around and just above my ankle that seems odd. I also feel like maybe its a little in my lower abdomen. My scale does a very rough estimate of water weight, and that number has been about 3-5% higher than normal (varying day by day). I pee normally (i.e., a lot), so it's not that I'm not going enough.

3) I'm often sluggish lately. Not exhausted, but sluggish. I'm not thinking clearly and I get tired easily. It's not that I'm unable to function, but just have a feeling of exhaustion that I'm not used to anymore since I lost weight. I'm also working a lot lately, so there's that to factor in on this one. Is this more work stress than health?

4) I'm freezing cold almost all the time. Some of this is to be expected now that I have less fat to work as insulation, but at the same time, you'd think my body would have caught up a little bit by now. Yesterday it was 70 degrees outside, but I needed my sweatshirt and to stand in the sun to stay warm. It's to the point where it's so typical that when I feel warm enough it's a notable experience. I get all excited about it. My showers have got longer and longer because it's the one time I'm guaranteed to be warm and because I know getting out is going to suck to be in the cold...especially till I can get dressed again. I have a feeling my heating bills will suck this year.

5) Lastly, I've been having tons of headrushes for the past few months. More than half the time when I stand up, I have at least a mild one where I kind of do that dizzy, black-out thing for a few seconds. I've always had that occasionally, but never to this extent.

So, how much of this is coincidence? How much is simply being stressed out through work? When do I decide this is doctor worthy? How do I balance my tendency toward hypochondria and simple patience to see how things go? Am I making myself unhealthy in my ongoing attempts to be healthy? How can I know?

Tomorrow, I'll go back to more useful stuff for anyone other than myself, but I wanted to get this down to see if anyone has input for me, and to see if anyone else has experienced anything like this with current/past weight loss.

5 comments:

  1. Hmm...I would say you should go to a doctor if all these things persist. Individually, none of those things seem too outside the norm, but taken together, you may want to have someone look at you. Keep in mind, though, that I am one of those crazy people who loves going to the doctor. ;)

    Just make sure you're well, OK? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Headrushes can mean low blood pressure. If it feels like you're going to pass out, or see 'stars', that is usually a sign of low bp.

    Like Karen said, I would say you should go to a dr. to let them know. It may be that you're not eating enough calories now (or the right nutrients) to sustain your current busy working lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Count me in on seeing the doctor. Given that these have suddenly appeared, I'd go have them checked out.

    xoxo
    Lynette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, ladies. I will make an appointment. It's probably overdue for a general checkup anyway! I'm sure it's probably not a big deal, but can't hurt to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After reading this Dena ~ you could have low blood sugar as well ~ head rushes and feeling sluggish could be a sign. With the weight loss, the period thing could be a side effect. The more weight you drop, the more irregular they can become ~ you might only have a few a year. I agree, that it would be a good idea to go have a physical and get things checked out!

    ReplyDelete