Saturday, October 23, 2010

My First Anniversary

A year ago today, I drove from home to Iowa City. I got up before dawn to be there by lunch time so I would have more time to spend with friends. I grabbed a donut for breakfast on the way down. When I got to Iowa City, I went to the Hamburg Inn for lunch and had a big old plate of eggs, meat, and cheese.  Then we spent the afternoon having coffee and snacks. Then I went to dinner at a fantastic local restaurant where I ate more more more and had some sangria to wash it all down. During the course of the day and evening, photos were taken. Smiling pictures of me with some of my wonderful friends. I remember I had a decent hair night, which was unusual. I hoped that would make the photos less terrifying.

The next day, I had a big breakfast at IHOP before heading for home. On the way back, I stopped for a snack and then had Subway for dinner after I got home (not with Baked Lays, obviously. Only the fatty kind would do!!). After dinner, I uploaded the photos I had taken with my new camera.

And that's when I bawled.  I had gained so much weight! I had noticed being heavier, of course, but I had not noticed how much heavier! I mean, I'd always been overweight, and my body is such that I can hide it easier than smaller folks can, so it didn't really seem like it was that much. I never weighed myself so I had no concept of what was happening.

After I stopped crying, I decided I was done. I just got mad and decided I wasn't going to take this lying down. I wasn't going to continue down the path toward ever-increasing weight. I was stopping it. Of course, I simultaneously reminded myself that I was naïve to think anything I tried would work. But there I was the very next night at my first WW meeting with one of my work friends. October 26, 2009. Sixty pounds later, here I am one year later.

As I sit home today, making good food choices all day long, I have been reflecting on that day one year ago when all my decisions were so very contrary to today. I remember the fleeting thoughts of, "I should probably make a better decision here." But I also remember the following thoughts, "Whatever. It can't be that bad, and besides, you've earned a little treat." Then I remember the moments of guilt and self-loathing for my bad decisions--only that's one that hasn't completely gone away! It's just that I less often feel them because I less often have reasons to feel guilty.

It's been the best year of my life in lots of ways, including travel and family stuff as well as weight loss. I have every intention of continuing my life according to this new lifestyle. I have no desire to go back, and I have every desire to be a healthy and happy person who feels good and looks good.

I know I kind of told the story of how I started this, but I thought it bore repeating on the anniversary of The Beginning. I hope that you'll consider your own Beginning if you haven't already. If my life can alter this much, I have absolutely no doubt that yours can, too. If you're in your Middle Stage of the quest for health, I wish you ongoing great luck. It's a battle worth continuing.

Here's to your Anniversary!

2 comments:

  1. Your timing couldn't have been more perfect. Saturday was definitely an "eat your feelings" day for me, and this was a great reminder that there are other healthier, happier ways to live :) And, though I can't say I knew you a year ago, you look FANTASTIC now. Congrats on your anniversary and thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for saying that. :) I know the feeling about eat your feelings days. For. Sure. But in the end, it doesn't really get us anywhere, so I don't know why we do it! Hope you're through it and moving upward now!

    ReplyDelete