Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Here we go, a-face stuffing...

So it begins. I'm soon off for my holiday family celebrations. This will mean a little reckless eating, but even if I gain a few pounds, I know how to lose weight now! :)  I plan to be as reasonable as I can be while being a little wild, too. Having been on the verge of emotional meltdown the past few weeks means I deserve a little extra joy in my life, and if that means a few more of Mom's candy cane cookies, then so be it.  I'm trying to stay away from dwelling on my recent binges and punishing myself by denying Christmas fun.

One thing I've noticed this holiday season is that my fridge looks really different now right before traveling. Before, I ate mostly processed stuff so I just kept the fridge stocked even when I was going to be away. Now, however, I'm eating so much more fresh food that I have to deplete the stock. This week has been an adventure in inventing things to eat. Making do with pasta and my homemade vinaigrette, buying fruit in very small numbers, relying on frozen vegetables (which is not a problem, really), and not buying my precious, precious yogurt. While it's been a bit of a frustration, it's also a kind of victory. It's a visible, physical reminder of how far I've come and how much healthier I am overall.

I just don't look forward to that first grocery bill after I get back. Eek.

On the food ideas front, one thing I have done lately is to use my creamed honey from Trader Joe's as dip for Special K Multigrain crackers. I love salty-sweet combos, and these two things together work like tasty magic. It's great at night before bedtime, particularly with my peppermint tea. Yum yum yum.

I also made a stirfry the other night with a little ground turkey (I was craving meat for some reason), vegetables (sauteed in olive oil), ground ginger, cilantro, and garam masala. I added a little quinoa for extra texture, and it was the best meal I've made in months. If you don't have any garam masala, get some Right Now. It's amazing, and the meal reminded me of my month in Ireland last summer when my colleague and friend, who is from India, made a similar meal for me. Maybe that's partly why it tasted so good. Memories make everything taste better. (Another reason to enjoy myself this weekend!)

I had a few other things to post about, but I forget what they are. Oh, well. When I remember, I'll just make another post out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment