Sunday, December 12, 2010

Keeping Up with New Ideas

Hey, first off, do want to know what's delicious? Cream of Wheat with a little bit of canned pumpkin and a teaspoon of maple syrup. Happy breakfast for 3pts.  I've become obsessed with Cream of Wheat in general. It takes about five minutes to make, fills me up for a long time, it's warm, it's plain enough that you can make it taste however you want. I'm going to keep exploring.

I also bought some Marzetti dressing that I'm in love with. It's the Simply Dressed kind of Sesame Ginger. They make it in the regular (non-simple?) variety as well, but the regular one has high-fructose corn syrup and more unpronounceable ingredients. The flavor is not too overpowering like ginger can sometimes be, and there's a great combination of sweet and salty tastes.

To play on the sweetness, I used some walnuts that I accidentally bought. Well, I mean, I picked them up on purpose, but I was too careless to notice that I had picked up the "glazed" version, which of course means sugared up. Oops. I decided to keep them anyway and just use them sparingly. I decided that the dressing might complement the sweetness of the dressing, so I added a half ounce to a spinach salad. YUM. It added crunch as well as sweetness. With onions and a little bit of chopped fresh apple, I had an amazing side salad with my lunch for hardly any points.

Lastly, my favorite yogurt (Kalona Superorganics, which used to be called Cultural Revolution) makes a 5% milkfat plain yogurt. I used to avoid it because it was so fatty, but now with the consideration of the high protein and low carbs (this brand has much less sugar than most yogurts) in the PointsPlus system, the high-fat version is still low points! And freaky delicious and rich. I'm totally jazzed about that! I always avoided higher fat yogurts because they are high points, but I prefer them. This is a great combination. I plan to continue using the lower fat versions (such as vanilla 2% milkfat) because I don't want to overdo my fat intake. But it's exciting to know WW puts some value in healthy fats now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment