Saturday, August 28, 2010

Dena Dena Pumpkin Eater... Wait. That doesn't rhyme right.

Remember a few days back when I linked to that Hungry Girl web site? And how she had stuff in there about how we should add canned pumpkin to stuff for high-fiber, low-fat goodness? Well, guess what. She was right.

Last night, I made a modified version of her pumpkin oatmeal. I made my steel-cut oats as normal, and then when they were done I added two tablespoons pumpkin (mind, it wasn't pumpkin pie filling with the junk already added--that's way less healthy), some cinnamon and ginger (didn't have nutmeg, but the ginger was great), and a tiny bit of skim milk. Ohhhhhhh. It was good. If you like pumpkin, it's definitely worth a try. I am now officially ready for fall. I even bought some local apples today at the grocery store--the first sign of autumn. Booyah.

Doing this reminded me that my friend makes chocolate cupcakes with pumpkin. She gets a devil's food cake mix, dumps in a can of pumpkin and bakes in muffin pans as per the box directions. Kind of like those black bean brownies I made last week from Skinny Taste. Each pumpkin muffin has two points, and they are rich and decadent.

Then, another friend mentioned that she gets a spice cake mix and adds the pumpkin instead of oil and eggs. Same deal as the bean and pumpkin chocolate recipes. That sounds fantastic, and I will be trying it as the temperatures change. I was thinking how great it would be to have a cream cheese frosting to go with it, and lo and behold, Skinny Taste to the rescue.

While messing about the Skinny Taste site, I also found pumpkin banana bread. Yum.

So there are a few ideas of things to try out for autumn. If you have other things you do with pumpkin, let me know. Unless it's perverted, in which case keep it to yourself.

4 comments:

  1. Well, I just found out today that in order to cure a constipated cat, you are supposed to add a teaspoon or two to their regular food. I'm still waiting on the final output. Get it? hahaha! (Does this count as perverted?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not perverted. Awesome. Wonder if a slightly larger dosage would work on humans. I'm not having any output problems (teehee) right now, but I'll report in next time I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denr Denr
    pumpkin eatr
    So skinny now
    you can hardly see er!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! That's awesome. You're a delightful poet, though look at the subject matter you have to work with. Hardy har.

    I did think later that I could have said, "Dena Dena Pumpkin Eatah." Like I'm from Boston. Oh, well.

    ReplyDelete