Saturday, August 28, 2010

While we're in the squash family...

Might as well make a theme of today instead of waiting to post this till tomorrow. I wanted to let y'all know (whoever y'all might be) about a new favorite of mine: spaghetti squash.

This squash (pictured...sorry it looks like the right half is barfing) is of the winter variety, so it's quite autumnal as well, but I hear you can buy it all year round. We'll see about that. I bought my first one a few weeks ago at a farmer's market, and I've seen them in the grocery stores ever since.

It's not hard to make, though it does require a little effort. I cut it in half lengthwise with a cleaver or other big knife. This part sucks sometimes because it's pretty thick-skinned. You'll have burned a few calories, though, so that's something. Once it's split in half, put it face-down on a cookie sheet (though I've heard face up works, too, so whatever you want) and cook it at 375 for about 45 minutes to an hour, depending on how big it is. When it's soft when you stab it with a fork, it's done. There's some conflicting info out there on the cooking process, but this is how I've done it and it's been fine.

Once it's done, let it cool a bit so it's easier to touch when it's scraping time. When it's cool enough, take a fork and just start scraping the meat. It will automatically go all stringy like the picture, which is why it's named the way it is. This, too, is not the most fun job, but it's not hard--just kind of tedious. I usually scrape for awhile till the half is full of strands. Then I spoon it out, put it in a bowl and scrape some more.

When it's all scraped out, I eat it with spaghetti sauce (I LOVE Fra Diavolo from Newman's Own because it's nice and spicy). Now, I know some people who aren't big fans, and say it's no substitute for pasta. Well, no, frankly. I wouldn't want to eat it as a permanent replacement--I love pasta way too much--but it's a great and decently healthy choice once in awhile as an alternative. Any way to get more whole foods in is a good thing, in my book. Plus, if you've had a really high-calorie day and need to keep dinner light but substantial, spaghetti squash is a good way to eat. I ate a scone today (9pts!!!!!), so I wanted to make dinner really safe. Now I've had a fully sufficient dinner for only 4 pts (with squash, sauce and a salad). I'm still safe to have a little snack, too! :)

I refrigerate the leftovers and reheat as needed. One squash makes about four servings, and a jar of spaghetti sauce has five servings--convenient. You get one last serving to eat with pasta. Now that school is starting, I'll probably put some squash and sauce in ready-to-go containers to take to work. Easy and healthy lunch on the go! If I'm reheating at home, I usually put a serving of the squash in a sauce pan or small skillet with a little bit of vegetable broth and cook till hot.

SkinnyTaste has quite a few recipes that use it, though I've not tried any of them yet. Maybe the leftovers I have after tonight will go to something from there instead of just sauce...I'll let you know how that goes.

1 comment:

  1. Read this link today and thought of you. Hope these are good! http://www.delish.com/recipes/cooking-recipes/spaghetti-squash?src=rss

    ReplyDelete