Monday, August 30, 2010

Stir-Fry Magic

Last night, I got some of that broccoli slaw that Hungry Girl mentioned in that link I posted last week. I wasn't sure exactly what I'd do, so I just went with a stir fry. Here's what I did.

I used half the bag of slaw (would use less in future, though, unless I want leftovers), added some fresh broccoli, some fresh spinach, and some green peppers and onion. Put in a little garlic and vegetable broth (again, I used too much, but I just splashed some in. Next time I'll measure about 1/2 cup and then add more if needed).

Then, most importantly, I added some garam masala powder. I hadn't had it before, but when I was in Ireland this summer, my roommate and colleague, who is from India, made a stir fry with this seasoning and I fell in love with it. It's so flavorful, but not in an overly spicy way. Just really good. I highly recommend you try it for a new and fun flavor if you don't already know about it.

Other stir fry seasonings I've used include green curry paste with lite coconut milk (there's a great recipe on the Thai Kitchen coconut milk can), simple teriyaki sauce, and kung pao seasoning. Just mess around. Go to the Asian food aisle at your grocery or to the Asian grocery if you have one nearby, and try something new!

Anyway, I cooked that on low while my brown rice cooked. It was great, but I stupidly decided to add some of that chile pepper paste that I love. I added too much and made my whole chest hurt. Oh, well. It was awesome.

Of course, you could make this with the slaw or just a bag of frozen stir fry veggies. A big serving has just a point or two, and brown rice is 3pts per 1/4 cup dry rice. That's how much I made, but with all the vegetables, I couldn't eat it all. So now I have leftover to eat with more vegetables.

So this isn't earth-shattering information, but I just wanted to mention the fun of experimenting with spices and sauces to make vegetables more appealing if they aren't generally your bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment