Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Casa del Gorda

There's been chatting today on a friend's FB status about Burger King's new breakfast menu. Turns out the new "Ultimate Platter" breakfast, consisting of pancakes, hash browns, and bacon, is a whopping (whopper?) 1300 calories. All told, I calculated it to 28 WW points. If you need a frame of reference...I get 25 points per day. By contrast, and surprisingly, the KFC double down, consisting of breaded chicken breasts in place of a bun with bacon and cheese in between is "only" 540 calories. That's shockingly low for what I expected, but I still don't plan on indulging anytime soon.

Later on in the day, this article about restaurant options was posted on my news feed. That chicken burrito from Chipotle? Yeah. I used to eat one of those per week (with chips).

This got me reflecting on another major change I had to learn to make, and which I alluded to a few days ago: I used to be a total restaurant junkie. Partly (mostly) because I was lazy. Partly because I liked the taste of the food better than what I made at home. I think it's no exaggeration to say I ate out five or six times per week, and I rarely made decent decisions when doing so...and of course, good decisions are virtually impossible.

One of my first decisions after joining WW was to stop this madness. I couldn't afford it, either monetarily or nutritionally. I poked around the Internet to see how bad my favorites were, and it made me blanch. I was eating a day's worth of calories/pts for every stinking meal I ate in a restaurant. I decided it was a major hurdle that I could take on immediately and feel good about. It also helped me because it made being in WW more affordable if I didn't spend the equivalent in a couple weeks' meals out.

I actually found it surprisingly easy, after the first week or so. When the weight started falling off, I made the connection that restaurant food was probably a major factor in my weight gain. The last major gain started my last semester of grad school when I was on fellowship. I used eating out as an excuse to leave my house since I didn't have class or teaching to get me out. Now, when I stopped that increasingly bad habit, the weight started to shed. It was an obvious link.

By the time New Year's rolled around, about six weeks into my new life, I noticed that A) I didn't miss it, B) when I ate out, I was more likely to feel sick to my stomach and hence C) I started wanting not to go out. That was a crazy realization. It's to the point now where I have to brace myself to go out. I only do it when I'm invited out, and then I work it out to minimize the damage (as I've written about before).

Going along with that, one of my little triggers for losing weight beyond "the photo" was that I was having frequent problems with indigestion and heart burn. To the point where I went to the doctor, with some concern. She offered me pills or a diet change. I chose pills. It helped, but I was extremely annoyed at the prospect of paying for the pills (esp. to the pharmaceutical companies). Once I started WW and quit eating out? You guessed it. I put those pills away. I only need them now when I eat stupidly, and even then I make myself suffer as a reminder of why eating stupidly should be a rare occurrence!

We live in a culture of luxury--one that allows us to frequently let someone else make and serve our food. But that luxury comes cheap only in the financial sense. It's also--literally--a heavy price to pay for our health. I don't regret ending my restaurant habit. If you eat out too much, you might consider cutting back a bit, too! Those pounds will come off as your bank account gets fatter.

3 comments:

  1. If you skip the chips, you can have a decent meal at Chipotle for about 600 calories. I get a chicken bowl (no tortilla), with only chicken, rice, beans, lettuce, salsa (hot!) and some sour cream to cool it down. No cheese or guac.

    Plus, Chipotle is all natural (no hormones in meat, etc.) and uses local foods when possible.

    Don't deny yourself the deliciousness!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The reason I looked at the BK menu was that I was trying to find something "meaty" for breakfast and I thought that the ciabatta sandwich might do the trick.

    I saw all of the nutrition information on the new breakfasts and, to use your term, blanched. How can something that looks so harmless be so bad???

    I'll stick to oatmeal and Bagel Thins thankyouverymuch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen, you're right! That sounds like a better decision. But 600 cals is still a pretty hefty portion of my daily limit (typically around 1500 cals). It's one of those things that's worth it on an occasional basis for sure. Just not the frequency of my old patterns.

    Lynette, that's the thing. Restaurants are filed with choices that *seem* reasonable...but aren't really. Because they coat stuff in unnecessary butter and add so many preservatives, tons of salt and sugar, etc.

    ReplyDelete