Saturday, September 18, 2010

What? There are consequences????

I had a great time on Thursday eating at Wine Guyz and Piggy's, two local favorites, with some great friends. I ate delicious food and drank some delicious wine. The problem is that none of the delicious food was healthy food. I had too much cheese, bread, more cheese, more bread, some chicken, and (worst of all) a crapload of fresh-fried potato chips at Piggy's (nom nom nom). I mean...I ate a crapload of those chips. The salt was laced with crack, I think.  I knew as I was eating them that I should stop at a handful, but I didn't stop. Kept eating.

Guess what. I spent the rest of the evening feeling like garbage, but that's just the start. The worst was that I woke up the next morning competely jacked up. I was foggy, lethargic, grumpy, and just uncomfortable. I was not alert, not myself. At first I thought, "Oof. Looks like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed."

But then it hit me. This is how I used to always feel in the morning. I was always grumpy, always tired, always lethargic. I haven't felt that way, really, in months. I still don't love mornings, but I wake up feeling like I'm ready for the day, even though it's only 6am. I get to school and start working without having to psych myself up for it.

Aha. The difference is that I fuel my body in such a way that I have the energy to make it happen. It's not that I'm "not a morning person." It's that I wasn't a healthy person. Now I am, and now mornings are tolerable. Unless I eat like crap the night before.

Okay, body. Lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment