Friday, September 17, 2010

Getting Off My Butt to Lose My Butt

I could point to a lot of things that were hard/hardest about losing weight. What I think of as the hardest kind of depends on the day, and what is hardest right now. But if I'm honest, I would probably say that the hardest adjustment I made was learning to tolerate exercise.

When I joined WW, they kept talking about the importance of moving and exercising. I did not want to hear this. I was hoping points control alone would be enough, and for awhile it absolutely was! I was down about 20 pounds in fairly short order without changing my movement patterns at all. But then the weight started coming off a little more slowly, and I knew then that it was time to listen to my leader's reminders about the role of exercise in my "weight loss journey" (to use WW lingo).

Nothing about this excited me. I was in Minnesota visiting my cousin and she tried to convince me to get a Wii so I could exercise with the WiiFit. I decided it was too much money, as was joining a gym. But then one night over my holiday break from school, I just got a bug up my butt and decided I wanted to buy a Wii anyway. So, off to Target to buy the thing, along with Fit. I brought it home and set up a profile (with a chubby Mii avatar). That first full day after buying it, I played it so much that the game kindly suggested I stop playing for awhile.

I decided on my plan of action (assuming, of course, that I would fail). I would get up each morning and work out for 30 minutes. The Wii would develop a workout for me, not just of the games but of the yoga and strength training exercises, too. Until school started, this was easy. Once I had to start being on campus early to teach, it was less easy.

But I did it. I just did it. I didn't like it. I didn't want to. I resented the Wii trainer who/that made me do planks and lunges. I wanted to hit the snooze bar. I wanted to stop. I didn't wanna I didn't wanna I didn't WANNA!!!  But I just kept doing it.

That's it. There's no magic. I just. Kept. Doing it. That's what it takes. Not letting myself take a day off because I had been up too late. Not giving myself a break because I had a long day ahead. Not giving myself time off for healthy eating.

Before too long, I grew to tolerate it.

Shortly after I got Wii Fit, I decided it wasn't enough, so I asked for (and got) WiiActive, which is a much more intensive workout program, for my birthday. Suddenly I was sweating a lot, and burning a LOT more calories. Then I bought the second version of WiiActive awhile later to add some variety--and I was a little bit excited about that! I figured out that it gives me more flexibility to eat treats I couldn't otherwise easily fit in. It made my butt and legs firmer (though still not firm!!). It gave me more energy over the long term (after I caught my breath again). 

Now, I find it to be a routine thing. It's part of my day. I even decided to wake up a little earlier this semester so I can workout and still be to work early. It's working fine so far! My energy level is unbelievably ramped up. I feel better after I do it (not while!!). After starting this process, my weight loss increased again, and now I am finding it relatively easy to stay on track with it.

What's most amazing is that I find myself seeking other forms of exercise to branch out. I would not have believed this possible before. I got my bike back in working order. I joined the YMCA once I could stop paying WW (when I hit Lifetime Member status). I enjoy these activities (though still not as much as sitting quietly with a good book). I enjoy being active!

Ultimately, then, getting to the point where I exercise moderately without any gripes was just like how I changed my diet. I added it to my life on my own terms--when I was ready--and increased the intensity only as I was ready for it. I started with three days a week, then five, now six.

Like with food, people feel like they have to become obsessive exercisers in order to succeed. For me, I had to grow to accept it as part of my life. Now I have, and now I work out every morning except for one weekend morning every week. Six days a week!!

If you need to start...start. Just start. Don't wait till you want to do it. Don't let yourself justify not doing it. Do it a few times a week. Build from there. Just. Start. Doing it. Now!

3 comments:

  1. Dena - you are an inspriation! That's it - we are making a plan!!! Thanks, thanks, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok so I go to the gym 3-4 times a week, but I know it would be a lot more often if I went in the mornings, instead of after work. I'm really glad I read this post tonight because tomorrow, I'm waking up at 5:30, and hitting the gym. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's true, Rina. If you get it done before the day has a chance to wear you out or defeat your energy levels, you won't avoid doing it. And it really does wake you up and build your energy if you start the day active. It's crazy!

    ReplyDelete