Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Chick(peas) Rule.

A friend was recently talking about a salad she had that contained garbanzo beans/chickpeas (same thing) roasted with vegetables with a vinaigrette. I needed a little protein tonight, so I took out a can and decided to get creative.

I took a half-cup of chickpeas, a little bit of reduced-sodium soy sauce, a little ginger, a clove of garlic and a fair heaping of garam masala seasoning. Threw it all in a pan with some broccoli and cauliflower and heated it through.

Holy crap. It was delicious. A very quick, easy, and tasty meal. The beans are 3pts, the veggies were free, as were all the seasonings. So...basically a meal for 3 points. A cha cha cha.  Next time I'll add onions, maybe some carrots. Any vegetable would be great. I thought about adding some corn, but opted not to this time. I bet some sweet or regular potatoes would also go great with it (with the corresponding point increase). If your fancy runs to meat, a little chicken or lean pork would also be good. Then there's the original idea of a vinaigrette for seasoning instead of garam masala. (My vinaigrette is here).

 Here's a link with nutrition info for them. It's got some good stuff in it, for sure. Garbanzo/chickpeas are what hummus are made from, in case you didn't know. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment