Thursday, January 13, 2011

Cooking with Yogurt

It's no secret that I think yogurt is pretty much the best thing since...ever. I eat it every day, usually as dessert with fruit and/or Fiber One. I pretty much exclusively eat plain now because it has less sugar, but with the Kalona Supernatural brand, I can eat vanilla with very few carbs. So good.

Anyway, I was lead to a new site that you should look at called MyRecipes.com. It has stuff from Cooking Light magazine and other places. There's a whole section devoted to healthy eating.  While skimming that section, I came across a slide show of recipes using yogurt. As you can imagine, I was giddy. I wandered through the show and was even giddier by the end. There are some excellent recipes. Not all of them are healthy, but you could make most of them healthy/healthier with different choices. For example, you don't really need the full fat yogurt when it calls for that, though the Kalona Supernatural 5% plain is still only about two or three points per serving and tastes amazing and rich.

I'm particularly interested in slides 2 (raspberry yogurt cheese with ginger snaps--I'd use low-fat yogurt here), 4 (chilled cucumber, avocado and yogurt soup), 7 (yogurt zucchini bread with walnuts), and 10 (raspberries with chocolate yogurt mousse). With 7 and 10, you could modify that to include other fruits. I wonder if banana bread with yogurt would be good, for example. Also, blueberries would be good with the mousse. Or strawberries. Or clementines. Or....

As usual, my interests are primarily in the sweets area. Ha! I'm always looking for healthy ways to indulge my sweet tooth. The great thing about yogurt is that it has calcium and helps with digestion, so it's doing yourself a favor while tasting sweet and creamy.

No comments:

Post a Comment