Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Cooking Distractions

So, I've been really snacky lately. Reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaally snacky. And there have been leftover cookies in my house. Bad bad combination. As a result, I've had to very consciously think about how to deter myself from indulging this bad habit, most especially while I'm cooking a meal. There I am, already in the kitchen, smelling delicious food that's on its way to my mouth but not quite yet. There are plenty of things at my ready disposal that could be immediately shoveled in. Aside from the Christmas cookies, it's mostly not bad-for-me stuff, but anything consumed in haste and sufficient quantities can throw me off.

So here are some things I've been doing to keep my hands and mouth from destroying me.

1) I indulge in a Diet Coke. I've been trying to keep my pop consumption reasonable, and most days I'm pretty good at it. But when I'm cooking and feeling that overwhelming urge, I'll give myself some leniency to have a can. That way I'm having a treat, but not consuming calories. I try to just sip it so it lasts me awhile, too. No need to chugalug. Having that sweetness really helps me stay away from food while the pasta boils or the sweet potato bakes. Water doesn't cut it for me, but if you're more virtuous than I am, more power to you.

2) I distract myself with loading or unloading the dishwashwer or washing dishes by hand. Sometimes I just give the countertops a good scrubbing or wipe down the food scale. Occasionally, I'll root around in the cupboards looking for a better way to organize them. I'm always looking for a more efficient strategy. I've been known to sort through the junk drawer in the kitchen, too, or the pile up of mail. In particular, I try to find things that need to be done anyway so that I feel gratified both for having accomplished something and not giving into my food whims.

3) Sometimes if there's time, I'll go to Facebook while something's cooking, keeping an ear for boil overs and/or an eye on the computer clock. Sometimes I'll set my kitchen timer to be sure I'm not letting something burn. If I'm online, I'm not thinking about food. I have a laptop, so it can come with me wherever I need it to keep me in line.
 
4) With the cookies in particular, I keep them in the freezer. Not because I don't love frozen cookies (on the contrary...), but because they are not so easily visible when they're behind a door. This seems to work better as a deterrent than the cupboards because I'm more likely to need something in the cupboard than the freezer...and seeing is eating.

5) Fruit or vegetables. If I'm overpowered by hunger, I will allow myself an extra piece of fruit or some carrots just to keep my mouth busy. Sure, it's not as fun as cookies or crackers, but this snackiness is often less about taste than it is about activity and urges. As long as something's being crammed in, I'm generally fine. And I'm less inclined to keep eating when there's an easy portion control with it being an individual thing. When I crack open the almonds or crackers or cookie container, it's easy to "just have a couple more." Then boom. Inhalation.

The main thing is that you don't stand at the stove or oven and think about food, or that you totally deny that you have the craving. Cravings have an ability to take over our minds, the evil beasts. I've been doing these things since I started Weight Watchers, but in more intensity than usual the last couple of weeks with my increased sensitivity to overeating. It works, I'm maintaining my weight, I'm staying in my points most days. It's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment