Monday, January 3, 2011

The Small Price of Healthy

I've been thinking since I went through the grocery store checkout tonight. You often hear that fruits and vegetables are more expensive than processed foods, and that's sometimes true, but careful shopping and portion control really narrows that gap.

Case in point. I went to the store tonight to start restocking my fridge after being gone. I got tons of fresh fruits (grapefruit, apples, bananas) and vegetables (spinach, peppers, onion, and carrots), plus some frozen fruits (blueberries, blackberries and raspberries) and vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower). I got some cottage cheese, milk, reduced-fat mozarella cheese. I got some low-point whole wheat bread and English muffins. I had $1 in coupons.  I spent $33. This food will last me for well over a week, since I got some frozen stuff and apples last awhile.

Yes, it takes careful consideration of your options. Yes, it requires a little more preparation sometimes. But it's cheap and delicious. I'm satisfied at the end of the day. And since I've started eating this way, I have not ONCE been sick with a cold. I've had a few very minor complaints, but nothing a day of rest couldn't cure.

Now. I was home last week and ate out a lot. Each meal out was, on average $5-7. That means I will eat for almost a whole week (21 meals plus snacks) for the price of about 5 to 7 meals in a restaurant (snacks not included). Plus, my way, I feel better, I consume less salt and fat, I stay healthy and thin. With restaurants, I eat fat and salt, I feel lethargic, I am just hungry again a few hours later--because there were few real nutrients in that food--and I'm overweight.

Plus, by not eating out, I can budget more of my money for groceries, which means I can buy extra healthy luxuries and the occasional unhealthy treat. And then there's the fact that being healthy means I don't need to spend money on prescription or over-the-counter drugs or doctor visit co-pays. That just leaves more money for more healthy food!

That $33 tonight was a bargain, no matter how you do the math.

No comments:

Post a Comment